Sunday, July 13, 2008

Lection 51 to 60

The Truth Maketh Free

1. THEN said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
2. They answered him, We be Abraham’s seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? Iesus answered them Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son even the Daughter abideth ever.
3. If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. I know that ye are Abraham's seed after the flesh; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you.
4. I speak that which I have seen with my Parent and ye do that which ye have seen with your parent. They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Iesus said unto them, If ye were Abraham’s children, ye would do the works of Abraham.
5. But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham. YE do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God.
6. Iesus said unto them, If God were your Parent, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but the All Holy sent me. Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.
7. Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him.
8. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own; for he is a liar, and the father of it. And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.
9. As Moses lifted up the Serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son and Daughter of man be lifted up, that whosoever gazeth, believing should not perish, but have everlasting life.
10. Which of you convicteth me of sin ? And if I say, the truth, why do ye not believe me? He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.
11. Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hath a demon ? Iesus answered, I have not a demon; but I honour the All Holy, and ye do dishonour me. And I seek not mine own glory, but the glory of God. But there is One who judgeth.
12. And certain of the Elders and Scribes from the Temple came unto him saying, Why do thy disciples teach men that it is unlawful to eat the flesh of beasts though they be offered in sacrifice as by Moses ordained.
13. For it is written, God said to Noah, The fear and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the field, and every bird of the air, and every fish of the sea, into your hand they are delivered.
14. And Jesus said unto them, Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias speak of you, and your forefathers, sayings This people draweth nigh unto Me, with their mouths, and honour me with their lips, but their heart is far from me, for in vain do they worship Me teaching and believing, and teaching for divine doctrines, the commandments of men in my name but to satisfy their own lusts.
15. As also Jeremiah bear witness when he saith, concerning blood offerings and sacrifices I the Lord God commanded none of these things in the day that ye came out of Egypt, but only this I commanded you to do, righteousness, walk in the ancient paths, do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with thy God.
16. But ye did not hearken to Me, Who in the beginning gave you all manner of seed, and fruit of the trees and seed having been for the food and healing of man and beast. And they said, Thou speakest against the law.
17. And he said against Moses indeed I do not speak nor against the law, but against them who corrupted his law, which he permitted for the hardness of your hearts.
18. But, behold, a greater than Moses is here! and they were wrath and took up stones to cast at him. And Jesus passed through their midst and was hidden from their violence.


He Declareth His Pre-Existence.

1. ANOTHER time Iesus said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a demon.
2. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death. Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead ? and the Prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself ?
3. Iesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God: Yet ye have not known him; but I now him: and if I should say I know him not I shall be a liar like unto you; but I know the All Holy and am known of the Eternal.
4. Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day; and he saw it, and was glad. Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet forty five years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
5. Iesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM.
6. And he said unto them, The All Holy hath sent you many prophets, but ye rose against them that were contrary to your lusts, reviling some and slaying others.
7. Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Iesus was hidden, and went out of the temple, through the midst of them, and so again passed unseen by them.
8. Again when his disciples were with him in a place apart, one of them asked him concerning the kingdom, and he said unto them:
9. As it is above, so it is below. As it is within, so it is without. As on the right hand, so on the left. As it is before, so it is behind. As with the great so with the small. As with the male, so with the female. When these things shall be seen, then ye shall see the kingdom of God.
10. For in me there is neither Male nor Female, but both are One in the All perfect. The woman is not without the man, nor is the man without the woman.
11. Wisdom is not without love, nor is love without wisdom. The head is not without the heart, nor is the heart without the head, in the Christ who atoneth all things. For God hath made all things by number, by weight, and by measure, corresponding, the one with the other.
12. These things are for them that understand, to believe. If they understand not, they are not for them. For to believe is to understand, and to believe not, is not to understand.

Iesus Healeth The Blind On The Sabbath.

1. AND at another time as Iesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. And his disciples asked him saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
2. Iesus answered, To what purport is it, whether this man sinned, or his parents, so that the works of God are made manifest in him? I must work the works of my Parent who sent me, while it is day; the night cometh, when no man can work. As long as I am in the world, I am the Light of the world.
3. When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and mingled clay with the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay And said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam (this meaneth by interpretation, Sent.) He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing.
4. The neighbours therefore, and they which before had seen him that he was blind, said, Is not this he that sat and begged? Some said, This is he: others said, He is like him: but he said, I am he.
5. Therefore said they unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed mine eyes, and said unto me, Go to the pool of Siloam, and wash: and I went and washed, and I received sight.
6. Then said they unto him, Where is he? He said, I know not where he is, that made me whole.
7. Then came to Him certain of the Sadducces, who deny that there is a resurrection, and they asked him saying, Master, Moses wrote unto us, if any man’s brother die having a wife and leaving no children, that his brother should take his wife and raise up seed to his brother.
8. Now there were six brethren, and the first took a wife and he died childless: And the second took her to wife and he died childless: And the third, even unto the sixth, and they died also leaving no children Last of all the woman died also.
9. Now in the resurrection, whose of them is she, for the six had her to wife.
10 And Iesus answered them saying, whether a woman with six husbands, or a man with six wives, the case is the same. For the children of this world marry and are given in marriage.
11. But they, which being worthy, attain to the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage, neither can they die any more, for they are equal to the angels and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.
12. Now that the dead are raised even Moses shewed at the bush, when he called the Lord, the God Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, for he is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for all live unto Him.

The Examination of Him Who was Born Blind.

1. THEN they brought to the Pharisees him that aforetime was blind. And it was the Sabbath day when Iesus made the clay, and opened his eyes.
2. Then again the Pharisees also asked him how he had received his sight. He said unto them, He put clay upon mine eyes, and I washed, and do see.
3. Therefore said some of the Pharisees, This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the Sabbath day. Others said, how can a man that is a sinner do such miracles? And there was a division among them.
4. They say unto the blind man again, What sayest thou of him, that he hath opened thine eyes? He said, He is a prophet.
5. But the Jews did not believe concerning him, that he had been blind, and received his sight, until they called the parents of him that had received his sight.
6. And they asked them, saying, Is this your son, who ye say was born blind? how then doth he now see? His parents answered them and said, We know that this is our son, and that he was born blind; but by what means he now seeth we know not; nor who hath opened his eyes; he is of age; ask him, he shall speak for himself.
7. These words spake his parents, because they feared the Jews; for the Jews had agreed already, that if any man did confess that he was the Christ he should be put out of the synagogue. Therefore said his parents, He is of age? ask him.
8. Then again called they the man that was blind, and said unto him, Give God the praise: we know that this man is a sinner. He answered and said, Whether he be a sinner or no, I know not; one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see.
9. Then said they to him again, What did he to thee? how opened he thine eyes? He answered them, I have told you already, and ye did not hear: wherefore would ye hear it again? will ye also be his disciples?
10. Then they reviled him, and said, Thou art his disciple; but we are Moses’ disciples. We know that God spake unto Moses: as for this fellow, we know not from whence he is.
11. The man answered and said unto them, Why herein is a marvellous thing, that ye know not from whence he is, and yet he hath opened mine eyes. Now we know that God heareth not sinners;
12. But if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth. Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind. If this man were not of God, he could do nothing.
13. They answered and said unto him, Thou wast altogether born in sins, and dost thou teach us? And they cast him out.
14. Iesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God ? He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him.
15. And Iesus said unto him, Thou hast both seen him, and it is he that talketh with thee. And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him.
16. And Iesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind. And some of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also?
17. AND Iesus, when he came to a certain place where seven palm trees grew, gathered his disciples around him, and to each he gave a number and a name which he only knew who received it. And he said unto them, Stand ye as pillars in the House of God, and shew forth the order according to your numbers which ye have received.
18. And they stood around him, and they made a body four square, and they counted the number, and could not. And they said unto him, Lord we cannot. And Jesus said, Let him who is greatest among you be even as the least, and the symbol of that which is first be as the symbol of that which is last.
19. And they did so, and in every way was there equality, and yet each bore a different number and the one side was as the other and the upper was as the lower, and the inner as the outer. And the Lord said, It is enough. Such is the House of the wise Master Builder. Foursquare it is, and perfect. Many are the Chambers, but the House is One.
20. Again consider the Body of man, which is a Temple of the Spirit. For the body is one, united to its head, which with it is one body. And it has many members, yet, all are one body and the one Spirit ruleth and worketh in all; so also in the kingdom.
21. And the head doth not say to the bosom, I have no need of thee, nor the right hand to the left, I have no need of thee, nor the left foot to the right, I have no need of thee; neither the eyes to the ears, we have no need of you, nor the mouth to the nose, I have no need for thee. For God hath set in the one body every member as is fitting.
22. If the whole were the head, where were the breasts? If the whole were the belly, where were the feet? yea, those members which some affirm are less honourable, upon them hath God bestowed the more honour.
23. And those parts which some call uncomely, upon them hath been bestowed more abundant comeliness, that they may care one for the other; so, if one member suffers, all members suffer with it, and if one member is honoured all members rejoice.
24. Now ye are my Body; and each one of you is a member in particular, and to each one of you do I give the fitting place, and one Head over all, and one Heart the centre of all, that there be no lack nor schism, that so with your bodies, your souls and your spirits ye may glorify the All Parent through the Divine Spirit which worketh in all and through all.

Christ The Good Shepherd. One With the Father.

1. AT that time there passed by the way a shepherd leading his flock to the fold; and Iesus took up one of the young lambs in his arms and talked to it lovingly and pressed it to his bosom. And he spake to his disciples saying:
2. I am the good shepherd and know my sheep and am known of mine. As the Parent of all knoweth me, even so know I my sheep, and lay down my life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold; them also must I bring, and they shall hear my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.
3. I lay down my life, that I may take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay my body down and I have power to take it up again.
4. I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd feedeth his flock, he gathereth his lambs in his arms and carrieth them in his bosom and gently leadeth those that are with young, yea the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
5. But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming and leaveth the sheep and fleeth, and the wolf catcheth them and scattereth the sheep. The hireling fleeth because he is an hireling and careth not for the sheep.
6. I am the door: by me all who enter shall be safe, and shall go in and out and find pasture. The evil one cometh not but for to steal and to kill and destroy; I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
7. He that entereth in by the door, is the shepherd of the sheep, to whom the porter openeth, and the sheep hear his voice, and he calleth his sheep by name, and leadeth them out, and he knoweth the number.
8. And when he putteth forth his sheep he goeth before them and the sheep follow him for they know his voice. And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him, for they know not the voice of strangers.
9. This parable spake Iesus unto them, but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them. Then said Iesus unto them again, My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me and I give unto them eternal life and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
10. My Parent who gave them me, is greater than all and no man is able to pluck them out of my Parent’s hand. I and my Parent are One.
11. Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Parent, for which of those works do ye stone me?
12. The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not, but for blasphemy, because that thou being a man maketh thyself equal with God. Jesus answered them, Said I that I was equal to God? nay, but I am one with God. Is it not written in the Scripture, I said, Ye are gods?
13. If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the Scripture cannot be broken, say ye of him, whom the Parent of all hath sanctified and sent into the world. Thou blasphemest; because I said I am the Son of God, and therefore One with the All Parent?
14. If I do not the works of my Parent believe me not, but if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works, that ye may know and believe that the Spirit of the great Parent is in me, and I in my Parent.
15. Therefore they sought again to take him, but he escaped out of their hands and went away again beyond Jordan, into the place where John at first baptized and there he abode.
16. And many resorted unto him, and said, John, indeed did not miracle, He is the Prophet that should come. And many believed on him.

The Raising of Lazarus.

1. Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha. (It was that Mary who anointed the Lord with ointment and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick).
2. Therefore his sisters sent unto him saying, Lord, behold he whom thou lovest is sick. When Iesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but that the glory of God might be manifest in him. Now Jesus loved Mary and her sister and Lazarus.
3. When he heard that he was sick, he abode two days still in the same place where he was. Then after that, saith he to his disciples, Let us go into Judea again.
4. His disciples said unto him, Master, the Jews of late sought to stone thee and goest thou thither again? Iesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walketh in the day he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
5. But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him. These things said he, and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth, but I go that I may awake him out of sleep.
6. Then said his disciples, Lord if he sleep, he shall do well. And a messenger came unto him saying, Lazarus is dead.
7. Now when Iesus came, he found that he had lain in the grave four days already (Bethany was nigh unto Jerusalem, about fifteen furlongs off). And many of the Jews came to Martha and Mary to comfort them concerning their brother.
8. Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Iesus was coming, went and met him, but Mary sat still in the house. Then said Martha unto Iesus, Lord if thou hadst been here my brother had not died. But I know that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.
9. Iesus saith unto her, Thy brother sleepeth, and he shall rise again. Martha said unto him, I know that he shall rise again, at the resurrection at the last day.
10. Iesus said unto her, I am the resurrection and the life, he that believeth in me, though he were dead yet shall he live. I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die.
11. She saith unto him, Yea, Lord : I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world. And when she had so said she went her way and called Mary her sister secretly saying, The Master is come and calleth for thee. As soon as she heard that she arose quickly and came unto him.
12. Now Iesus was not yet come into the town, but was in that place where Martha met him. The Jews then which were with her in the house and comforted her, when they saw Mary that she arose up hastily and went out, followed her saying, She goeth unto the grave to weep there.
13. Then when Mary was come to where Iesus was, and saw him she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord if thou hadst been here my brother had not died. When Jesus therefore saw her weeping and the Jews also weeping that came with her, he groaned in the spirit and was troubled. And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see, and Jesus wept.
14. Then said the Jews, Behold, how he loved him! And some of them said, Could not this man which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died? Iesus therefore groaning again in himself (for he feared that he might be already dead) cometh to the grave. It was a cave and a stone lay upon it.
15. Iesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him supposed to be dead, saith unto him, Lord by this time he stinketh, for he hath been dead four days. Iesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that if thou wouldest believe thou shouldst see the glory of God? Then they took away the stone from the place where Lazarus was laid.
16. And Iesus lifted up his eyes and chanting, invoked the great Name, and said, My Parent, I thank Thee that thou has heard me. And I know that Thou hearest me always, but because of the people which stand by I call upon Thee that they may believe that Thou hast sent me. And when he had thus spoken he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus come forth.
17. And he that was as dead came forth bound hand and foot with graveclothes, and his face was: bound about with a napkin.
18. Iesus said unto them, Loose him and let him go. When the thread of life is cut indeed, it cometh not again, but when it is whole there is hope. Then many of the Jews which came to Mary and had seen the things which Iesus did, believed on him.

Concerning little Children.
The Forgiveness of Those Who Trespass.
Parable of the Fishes.

1. AT the same time came the disciples unto Iesus, saying, who is the greatest in the kingdom of Heaven? And Iesus called a little child unto him and set him in the midst of them and said, Verily I say unto you, except ye be converted and become innocent and teachable as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of Heaven.
2. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is the greatest in the kingdom of Heaven. And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.
3. Woe unto the world because of offenses! for it must needs be that offences come, but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh. Wherefore if thy lust, or thy pleasure do offend others, cut them off and cast them from thee, it is better for thee to enter into life without, rather than having that which will be cast into everlasting fire.
4. Take heed that ye neglect not one of these little ones, for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the Face of God. For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.
5. How think ye? if a man have a hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine and go into the mountains and seek that which is gone astray? And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more over that sheep than over the ninety and nine which went not astray.
6. Even so it is not the will of your Parent, Who is in heaven, that one of these little one should perish.
7. AND there were certain men of doubtful mind, came unto Iesus, and said unto him: Thou tellest us that our life and being is from God, but we have never seen God, nor do we know of any God. Canst thou shew us Whom thou callest the Father-Mother, one God? We know not if there be a God.
8. Iesus answered them, saying, Hear ye this parable of the fishes. The fishes of a certain river communed with one another, saying, They tell us that our life and being is from water, but we have never seen water, we know not what water is. Then some among them, wiser than the rest, said: We have heard there dwelleth in the sea a wise and learned Fish, who knoweth all things. Let us journey to him, and ask him to shew us what water is.
9. So several of them set out to find this great and wise Fish and they came at last to the sea wherein the wise Fish dwelt, and they asked of him.
10. And when he heard them he said unto them, O ye foolish fish that consider not! Wise are ye, the few, who seek. In the water ye live, and move, and have your being; from the water ye came, to the water ye return. Ye live in the water, yet ye know it not. In like manner, ye live in God, and yet ye ask of me, “Shew us God.” God is in all things, and all things are in God.
11. AGAIN Iesus said unto them, If thy brother or sister shall trespass against thee, go and declare the fault between thee and thy brother or sister alone; if they shall hear thee, thou hast gained them. But if they will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
12. And if they shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church, but if they neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church, but if they neglect to hear the church, let them be unto thee as those that are outside the church. Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall justly bind on earth, shall be bound in heaven, and whatsoever ye shall justly loose in earth, shall be loosed in heaven.
13. Again I say unto you, That if seven, or even if three of you shall agree on earth as touching anything that they ask, it shall be done for them of my Father-Mother Who is in heaven. For where even three are gathered together in my name there I am in the midst of them, and if there be but one, I am in the heart of that one.
14. THEN came Peter to him and said, Lord, how oft shalt my brother sin against me and I forgive him? till seven times? Iesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times, but until seventy times seven. For in the Prophets likewise unrighteousness was found, even after they were anointed by the Holy Spirit.
15. And he spake this parable, saying, There was a certain king who would take account of his servants, and when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him which owed him ten thousand talents. But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife and children and all that he had, and payment to be made.
16. The servant therefore, fell down and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me and I will pay thee all. Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion and loosed him, and forgave him his debt.
17. But the same servant went out and found one of his fellow-servants which owed him a hundred pence, and he laid hands on him and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.
18. And his fellow-servant fell down at his feet and besought him, saying, Have patience with me and I will pay thee all. And he would not, but went and cast him into prison till he should pay the debt.
19. So when his fellow-servants saw what he had done they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.
20. Then his lord, after he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt because thou desiredst me; shouldst not thou also have had compassion on thy fellow-servant, even as I had pity on thee. And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
21. So likewise shall the heavenly Parent judge you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one, his brother or sister, their trespasses. Nevertheless, let every man see that he pay that which he oweth, for God loveth the just.

Divine Love To The Repentant.

1. Iesus said unto the disciples and to the multitude around them, Who is the son of God? Who is the daughter of God? Even the company of them who turn from all evil and do righteousness, love mercy and walk reverently with their God. These are the sons and the daughters of man who come up out of Egypt, to whom it is given that they should be called the sons and the daughters of God.
2. And they are gathered from all tribes and nations and peoples and tongues, and they come from the East and the West and the North and the South, and they dwell on Mount Zion, and they eat bread and they drink of the fruit of the vine at the table of God, and they see God face to face.
3. Then drew near unto him all the taxgatherers and sinners for to hear him. And the Pharisees and Scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners and eateth with them.
4. AND he spake this parable unto them, saying, What man of you having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it? And when he hath found it he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.
5. And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost. I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons which need no repentance.
6. Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece doth not light a candle and seek diligently till she find it? And when she hath found it she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me, for I have found the piece of silver which I had lost. Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.
7. AND he also spake this parable, A certain man had two sons, and the younger of them said to his parents, Give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And they divided unto him their living. And not many days after the younger son gathered all together and took his journey into a fair country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.
8. And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land, and he began to be in want. And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country, and he sent him into his fields to feed swine. And he would fain have filled his body with the husks that the swine did eat, and no man gave unto him.
9. And when he came to himself he said, How many hired servants of my father’s have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! I will arise and go to my father and mother, and will say unto them. My father and my mother, I have sinned against Heaven and before you, and am no more worthy to be called your son, make me as one of your hired servants.
10. And he arose and came to his parents. But when he was a great way off, his mother and his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him. And the son said unto them, My father and my mother, I have sinned against Heaven and in your sight, and am no more worthy to be called your son.
11. But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand and shoes on his feet, and bring hither the best ripe fruits, and the bread and the oil and the wine, and let us eat and be merry; for this my son was dead and is alive again, he was lost and is found. And they began to be merry.
12. Now his elder son was in the field, and as he came and drew nigh to the house he heard music and dancing. And he called one of the servants and asked what these things meant. And he said unto him, Thy brother who was lost is come back, and thy father and thy mother have prepared the bread and the oil and the wine and the best ripe fruits, because they have received him safe and sound.
13. And he was angry and would not go in, therefore came his father out and entreated him. And he answering, said to his father, Lo, these many years have I served thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandments, and yet thou never gavest me such goodly feast that I may make merry with my friends.
14. But as soon as this thy son is come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou preparest for him a feast of the best that thou hast.
15. And his father said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine. It was meet, therefore, that we should be merry and be glad, for this thy brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.

Iesus Forewarneth His Disciples.
He Findeth Zaccheus.

1. AND Iesus went up into a mountain and there he sat with his disciples and taught them, and he said unto them, Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
2. Sell that ye have and do that which is good, for them which have not; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
3. Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning, and ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding that when he cometh and knocketh they may open unto him immediately.
4. Blessed are those servants whom the lord, when he cometh, shall find watching; verily I say unto you that he shall gird himself and make them to sit down at his table, and will come forth and serve them.
5. And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch and find them so, blessed rare those servants.
6. And this know, that the guardian of the house not knowing what hour the thief would come, would have watched and not have suffered his house to have been broken through. Be ye therefore ready also, for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.
7. Then Peter said unto him, Lord, speakest thou this parable unto us, or even to all? And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them who serve their portion in due season?
8. Blessed is that servant whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make him ruler over all that he hath.
9. But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidservants and to eat and drink and to be drunken, the lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware and will appoint him his portion with the unfaithful.
10. And that servant which knew his lord’s will and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall they much require the less.
11. For they who know the Godhead, and have found in the way of Life the mysteries of light and then have fallen into sin, shall be punished with greater chastisements than they who have not known the way of Life.
12. Such shall return when their cycle is completed and to them will be given space to consider, and amend their lives, and learning the mysteries, enter into the kingdom of light.
13. AND Iesus entered and passed through Jericho. And, behold, there was a man named Zaccheus, which was the chief among the collectors of tribute, and he was rich.
14. And he sought to see Iesus who he was; and could not for the press, because he was little of stature. And he ran before, and climbed up into a sycamore tree to see him: for he was to pass that way.
15. And when Iesus came to the place, he looked up, and saw him, and said unto him, Zacheus, make haste, and come down; for to day I must abide at thy house. And he made haste and came down, and received him joyfully.
16. And when they saw it, they all murmured, saying, That he was gone to be guest with a man that is a sinner.
17. And Zachaeus stood, and said unto the Lord, Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken anything from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold.
18. And Iesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to thine house, forsomuch as thou art a just man, thou also art a son of Abraham. For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which ye deem to be lost.

Iesus Rebuketh Hypocrisy.

1. THEN spake Iesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, saying. The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’s seat. All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say and do not. For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
2. But all their works they do for to be seen of men; they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, and love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues, and greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.
3. But desire not ye to be called Rabbi: for one is your Rabbi, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. And call not any one father on earth, for on earth are fathers in the flesh only; but in Heaven there is One Who is your Father and your Mother, Who hath the Spirit of truth, Whom the world cannot receive.
4. Neither desire ye to be called masters, for one is your Master, even Christ. But they that are greatest among you shall be your servants. And whosoever shall exalt themselves shall be abased; and they that are humble in themselves shall be exalted.
5. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of Heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves neither suffer ye them that are entering, to go in,
6. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites” for ye devour widows’ houses, and for a pretence make long prayer; therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.
7. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
8. Woe unto you, ye blind guides, who say, Whosoever shall swear by the Temple, it is nothing, but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the Temple, he is a debtor! Ye fools and blind; for whether is greater, the gold, or the Temple that sanctifieth the gold?
9. And, Whosoever shall swear by the altar, it is nothing; but whosoever sweareth by the gift that is upon it, he is guilty. Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gift, or the altar, that sanctifieth the gift?
10. Whoso therefore shall swear by the altar, sweareth by it, and by all things thereon. And whoso shall swear by the Temple, sweareth by it, and by him that dwelleth therein. And he that shall swear by Heaven sweareth by the throne of God, and by the Holy One that sitteth thereon.
11. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. Ye blind guides! for ye strain out a gnat, and swallow a camel.
12. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess. Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, then the outside of them that they may be clean also.
13. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of the bones of the dead and of all uncleanness. Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and make believe.
14. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous, and say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
15. Wherefore ye be witness unto yourselves, that ye do as the children of them which killed the prophets. Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.
16. Wherefore saith holy Wisdom, behold I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city. And upon you shall come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, who was slain between the temple and the altar. Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
17. O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
18. Behold, now your house is left unto you desolate. For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Holy, Holy, Holy, Blessed are they who come in the Name of the Just One.